Navigate / search

Small But Successful Stream Cleanup

This past Saturday, November 22nd, I (Gussie Maguire) and Ellis Brown of the Morgan Community Mile joined forces with four intrepid volunteers to remove trash from the junction of the Chinquapin Run and Herring Run on Morgan State’s campus. We met at the Communications Building at 9am, dressed in layers of warm clothes to protect us from the frosty air. The first volunteer to arrive was my very own mother, a longtime resident of East Baltimore with a passion for the environment. Soon to follow were Treyvon, a member of the Campus 100, and Xavier, a brother of Beta Alpha Psi. We donned our work gloves, loaned to us from BlueWater Baltimore, and sallied forth, under the footbridge connecting the northernmost buildings to the rest of campus, down to the Chinquapin Run.

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 10.47.28 AM

Before we even reached the stream, we encountered litter scattered beneath the bridge–Doritos bags, candy wrappers, and cups from what seemed to be every well-known coffee chain. There was even a traffic cone suspended in a tree above the stream, supported by invasive vines. We removed what we could (though the traffic cone proved too difficult to reach without additional tools) and continued to our destination. Once we reached the intersection of the streams, we set straight to work. For the most part, large debris in the stream channels was limited. The majority of trash was plastic bags and bottles, tangled and embedded in the streams’ banks. However, we did encounter some surprisingly large objects. First, Treyvon, Xavier and I attacked a half-submerged lawnmower–yes, a lawnmower. Shockingly, there was a second lawnmower, though that one proved to be too tightly wedged for us to remove it. We plan to return in the spring with reinforcements, and maybe some metal shears.

Xavier, hard at work!
Xavier, hard at work!

Shortly after pulling out the lawnmower, we were joined in our efforts by Chaz, a second volunteer from the Campus 100. Work continued for another two hours, during which we collectively removed 15 trash bags full of waste, the lawnmower, a tire, part of a shopping cart, what appeared to be part of an old mattress, a (lead?) pipe, PVC pipe, a broomstick, and half a plastic chair. By 12pm, we had transported our findings back to the parking lot at which we started, where we waited for the city to remove the garbage.

The spoils of war.
The spoils of war!

Despite the small number of volunteers, we made a significant dent in the amount of trash at our location. However, we were only working in a small area. A hop, skip, and a jump away from our site, the streams still desperately need our help to relieve them of their plastic burden. We intend to return to the site in the spring, fortified by better weather and more volunteers.